New York Window Washing Accidents Lawyer
New York City, with its skyline dominated by towering skyscrapers, relies heavily on the services of window washers. These professionals work at great heights, often under challenging conditions, making window washing one of the more hazardous jobs in the city. Unfortunately, window-washing accidents do occur, sometimes resulting in severe injuries or even fatalities. If you or a loved one has been involved in a window washing accident in New York City, legal representation from a skilled and experienced injury lawyer can be crucial to obtaining the care and compensation you need. Below we discuss facts about window washing accidents in NYC, including legal protections under New York’s scaffold law. If you need legal help right away, call Leandros A. Vrionedes, P.C. for immediate assistance from an effective and dedicated New York personal injury lawyer.
The Risks to Workers Involved in Window Washing
Window washers face numerous risks, including falls from significant heights, equipment failures, and adverse weather conditions. Even with strict safety regulations and guidelines in place, accidents can happen due to various factors such as:
- Inadequate safety equipment or faulty gear
- Improper training or lack of supervision
- Structural failures, such as faulty scaffoldings or platforms
- Negligence in adhering to safety protocols
New York Labor Law Offers Legal Protections for Window Washers
In New York, several laws and regulations are designed to protect workers, including window washers. Notably, New York Labor Law Section 240(1), often referred to as the “Scaffold Law,” provides specific protections to workers engaged in height-related tasks. This law imposes “absolute liability” on property owners and contractors for injuries resulting from gravity-related accidents if they fail to provide adequate safety devices. The scaffold law is an important tool for injured workers, but it’s critical to get help from an experienced NYC construction worker injury lawyer who is well-versed in the law and procedure for holding owners and contractors accountable.
Window washers are also protected under New York Labor Law sections 200 and 241(6). Section 200 takes the common law doctrine of negligence and codifies it into law. Under this law, the party who actively supervised or controlled the window washer’s work or the area of the work site where the accident happened can be held liable for failing to act with reasonable care for the safety of the worker.
Section 241(6) imposes liability on employers for accidents that occurred tied to the employer’s violation of New York’s Industrial Code (IC). To hold the employer liable under 241(6), the accident victim must be able to show a violation of a specific provision of the IC found in the New York Codes, Rules and Regulations (NYCRR). These codes apply to window washers and therefore impose 241(6) liability on employers. For example, 12 NYCRR 21.3 states that “No owner shall suffer or permit a cleaner to clean a window of his building unless it has the structural features and the anchors or other fixed devices required by this Part in respect to the authorized means and methods of cleaning used by the cleaner… Every employer must provide or cause to be provided to a cleaner in his employ the portable equipment, devices and materials specified in respect to the authorized means and methods used by such cleaner.”
Seeking Compensation for Window Washing Injuries
If you’ve been injured in a window washing accident, you might be entitled to various forms of compensation, such as:
- Employer Liability: As noted above, employers can be held liable for window washing accidents that involve the employer’s violation of relevant New York labor laws, notably sections 200, 240(1) and 241(6). These laws broadly apply to most contractors and owners involved in construction, demolition, painting, and other building activities, including cleaning. These laws require owners and contractors to provide scaffolding and other devices to give property protection to the worker, and they are absolutely liable for gravity-related injuries such as falls if they failed to comply with the law.
- Workers’ Compensation: If you are classified as an employee as opposed to an independent contractor, you’re generally entitled to workers’ compensation benefits, which can cover medical expenses and a portion of your lost wages.
- Personal Injury Claims: If the accident resulted from someone else’s negligence, you might have what is known as a third-party liability personal injury claim. This can include compensation for pain and suffering, full lost wages, and other damages not covered by workers’ compensation. A third-party liability claim might be available regardless of whether you are applying for workers’ comp benefits or not.
- Product Liability Claims: If defective equipment contributed to the accident, you might have a claim against the manufacturer or supplier of that equipment. Many different legal theories can apply to a product liability claim, including strict liability, negligence, breach of warranty, and others. Product liability claims often involve major manufacturers, so it’s important to get help from a seasoned attorney with the resources and dedication to take them on.
Why Choose Leandros A. Vrionedes, P.C.?
At Leandros A. Vrionedes, P.C., we understand the complexities of window washing accidents and the laws that protect workers in New York City. Our experienced legal team is dedicated to advocating for the rights of injured workers and their families. We offer personalized legal guidance and robust representation, aiming to secure the maximum compensation you deserve. You can count on us to approach your case in the following manner:
- Thorough Investigation: We meticulously investigate every aspect of your case to identify all responsible parties and uncover crucial evidence.
- Expert Collaboration: We collaborate with industry experts as needed to strengthen your case, including safety specialists and medical professionals.
- Strategic Legal Representation: We navigate the complexities of New York’s labor laws, workers’ compensation claims, and personal injury litigation to advocate effectively for your rights.
- Compassionate Client Care: We understand the emotional and financial toll of these accidents and provide compassionate, client-focused legal services.
Contact Leandros A. Vrionedes, P.C., for Immediate Assistance After a Window Washing Accident in New York
Window-washing accidents can have life-altering consequences for victims and their families. It’s vital to have a knowledgeable attorney who can guide you through the legal process and fight for your rights. If you’ve been affected by a window washing accident in New York City, call Leandros A. Vrionedes, P.C. at 212-889-9362 for a free consultation. We are committed to delivering the legal support you need during this challenging time.