Attorney for New York Truck Accidents Caused by Worn or Defective Tires
When a car or light-duty truck experiences a tire blowout, the effects tend to be minimal. This isn’t the case with a damaged tire on a semi-truck or tractor-trailer. Due to the size of the tires, amount of tire pressure, and weight of these vehicles, 18-wheeler tire damage can have violent consequences. As soon as possible after a New York trucking accident caused by bad tires, contact personal injury attorney Leandros A. Vrionedes to find out if you might have a claim for damages based on your injuries.
Tractor-trailer tire accidents can have destructive consequences
Fully-loaded tractor-trailers can weigh up to 80,000 lbs. The tires carrying these massive vehicles must be very robust, holding a high amount of pressure. As a result, when a tire is punctured or experiences a blowout for other reasons, the sudden release of pressure can send portions of tire tread hurtling through the air and into the road. Tractor-trailer tire blowouts can cause accidents as a result of:
- So called “road alligators”—large pieces of tire tread in the roadway—that drivers must swerve to avoid hitting, sometimes colliding with cars in neighboring lanes
- Chunks of tire rubber being thrown at high speeds into the windshield of a nearby car, shattering the glass
- Truck drivers losing control of their vehicles after a tire blowout which occurs while the truck is traveling at a high rate of speed, causing the truck to fishtail, jackknife, or swerve into oncoming traffic
Carrier companies and drivers have a duty to perform tire maintenance
Both the driver of a truck as well as the company that owns the truck have a duty to perform regular maintenance on tires to ensure their safety and integrity. Should this inspection and maintenance fail to occur, carrier companies can be held liable for resulting tire failure. Tire inspection and maintenance should occur on a daily basis and should include:
- Inspection of tire side walls to ensure that they have not become worn or threadbare, or that tire belts are not visible
- Ensuring that tires are inflated with the correct amount of pressure
- Inspection for cracks in rubber or excessive wear to tire tread
- Inspection for proper mounting and balancing of tires
Find out today if you have a claim
If you’ve been injured in a truck accident in New York, you may have a right to money damages for your medical expenses, pain and suffering, and lost wages. Don’t let time limits on filing a claim for damages lapse before you have the opportunity to seek what you’re owed for your injuries. Contact the experienced, determined, and effective New York truck accident lawyer Leandros A. Vrionedes for a consultation on your case, at 212-889-9362, or in Astoria at 718-777-5895.